I need to make a trifle for sentimental reasons but one of the people coming to dinner doesn’t have milk. Almost every element of a trifle has milk in it. A challenge
The jelly bit.
Strawberries
Strawberry jelly
Whiskey
Ladyfingers
Golden syrup
Salt
- Cut the strawberries into half then toss with whiskey, syrup and salt and leave for half an hour.
- Strain the strawberries reserving the juice then spread the strawberries into the bottom of your trifle pot.
- Dip ladyfingers into the reserved juice and nestle them amongst the fruit.
- Make strawberry jelly according to the package instructions then pour it into the trifle dish
The custard bit
Coconut milk
6 Egg yolks
Vanilla essence
Sugar
Cornflower
- Heat the coconut milk until its is hand hot.
- Meanwhile whisk the sugar, cornflower and egg yolks together.
- Drizzle some of the hot coconut milk into the yolk mixture whisking constantly.
- Return the coconut and yolk mixture to the stove and heat gently.
- When the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon take it off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool then pour it onto the trifle dish.
The cream bit (were making italian meringue because its kinda the same as cream?)
Egg whites
Sugar
Water
Lemon (maybe)
- Consult the internet because i have no idea.
- Pipe the meringue onto the trifle.
- Top with hundreds and thousands, and toasted coconut (dyed festive colours)
This was not a complete success. Too sweet and coconut custard seems to set differently than with milk so it was all a bit sloppy. Next time I want to lean into the tropical vibe of the coconut a bit more. I'm thinking of pineapple and ginger jelly. I also need to find a new vegan whipped cream substitute I think. Aquaflava maybe
Comments
Post a Comment