'potatoes, cheese, and bacon. whats not to like?'
My nan, bless her, was not a good cook, was never interested in being a good cook(neither of them actually). so when people talk about Nonna food I feel a little jealous and bereft. that being said there are some comfort foods that bring to mind my Nan. This is a simple layered potato gratin which is baked in the oven until it forms a crust on top and is unctuous and rich underneath. nan would serve this with baked beans and brown sauce but i think a light acidic salad would serve.
Ingredients
Potato (a waxy variety cut into flat rounds)
Cheese (traditionally a cheddar cheese but this isn't a fussy recipe)
Bacon (I'm vegetarian so I just don't put it in my version)
Onions (rings, optional)
My nan, bless her, was not a good cook, was never interested in being a good cook(neither of them actually). so when people talk about Nonna food I feel a little jealous and bereft. that being said there are some comfort foods that bring to mind my Nan. This is a simple layered potato gratin which is baked in the oven until it forms a crust on top and is unctuous and rich underneath. nan would serve this with baked beans and brown sauce but i think a light acidic salad would serve.
Ingredients
Potato (a waxy variety cut into flat rounds)
Cheese (traditionally a cheddar cheese but this isn't a fussy recipe)
Bacon (I'm vegetarian so I just don't put it in my version)
Onions (rings, optional)
- layer up in a Pyrex dish cheese, then potato then onion, then bacon, then potato, then cheese... season at every layer
- Bake in the oven until the potato is cooked through and the top is crunchy and brown
- Serve
Comments
Post a Comment