'A punchy breakfast treat'
This has a couple of inspirations, mom has been making Shakshuka for a long time and I am a big fan. But Shakshuka requires more fresh vegetables and is eaten with bread. I happened to have some Mexican spice mix left that needed using up after the burritos on Sunday. To make it heartier I added some beans and some frozen sweetcorn.
The baked eggs
Onions (chopped)Chili (de-seeded and finely chopped)
Garlic (minced with salt)
Tinned tomatoes (one tin, chopped)
Coriander (stalks chopped finely, reserve the leafier bits)
Can of beans (pinto beans would be best, or whatever beans you have)
Frozen sweetcorn (A handful of)
Cumin (Ground, half a teaspoon)
dried oregano (a sprinkle)
Salt (to taste)
Oil or butter (enough to saute)
Soured cream (I didn't have any but I'd have liked some)
- Saute your onions and chili in an oven safe skillet until they take a little colour.
- Add in the minced garlic and coriander stalks saute until fragrant then add the beans and sweetcorn.
- When the sweetcorn has thawed add the cumin and oregano stir in then add the tin of tomato.
- Season your sauce to taste, this is your last chance to do this.
- Crack in two eggs per person let bubble briefly on the stove before put in in a 180 degree oven.
- Take out of the oven when the eggs have set but the yolks remain runny.
- Serve the pan on the table and sprinkle on the chopped coriander leaves.
This is a meal complete in and of itself but you could serve it with bread or tortillas. soured cream on the side maybe or I think crumbled feta cheese would be a nice accompaniment (feta goes well with quite a few Mexican dishes. I am told it is very similar to Cotija cheese which is basically impossible to buy here).

Comments
Post a Comment